Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Liebster Award


Many thanks to Another Old Movie Blog and The Kitty Packard Pictorial Blog for bestowing Dear Old Hollywood with the Liebster Blog award! Honestly, I wasn't all that sure on the background of the Liebster award, but from what I gather, the intent is to highlight and draw attention to noteworthy blogs. I'm delighted that some of my blogging peers think Dear Old Hollywood is a noteworthy blog.

As part of receiving the award, I now must select five blogs that I find interesting and that I think others should take a moment to check out. First, if you haven't already, you should make your way over to Another Old Movie Blog and the Kitty Packard Pictorial, both excellent, well-written, and entertaining blogs with a focus on classic cinema.

Now, here is a list of five other blogs that I think you should take a look at:

1. Ann  Dvorak: Hollywood's Forgotten Rebel - This site is dedicated to all things Ann Dvorak, the beautiful actress who appeared in many classic films of the 1930s,  like early gangster films such as Scarface and G-Men. Christina, the blog's author and an Ann Dvorak collector, is currently writing  the first ever and much anticipated biography on Ann. I discovered this blog a few months ago and now it's my go to place for this underappreciated actress.

2. Laura's Miscellaneous Musings - Laura's blog covers a wide range of topics but there is a heavy focus on classic film. Some of my favorite things I find over at Laura's blog are her "Around the Blogosphere" posts where she highlights news from around the web that I might otherwise miss and her reviews on classic films. Laura doesn't just review the mainstream classics, but also reviews some of the lesser known films and she always does a great job of noting where readers can find the films, such as whether it is available for streaming on Netflix, home video, or if a film is unavailable.

3. Daveland - Dave's blog is mainly about Disneyland, highlighting the park from the past to the present. I always enjoy seeing Dave's photo filled updates on changes to the park as well as his large collection of vintage Disney images. If you're a Disney fan, this is another blog to add to your list.

4. Paradise Leased - This is another blog I've come across in recent months and it has quickly become a favorite. Paradise Leased covers the history of Hollywood and Southern California, it's people and architecture. Steve Vaught, the blog's author, is so detailed in his writing and covers many lesser known topics. Plus, I'm always awed by some of the stunning images he comes up with. If you are interested in Southern California history, Hollywood, and architecture bookmark this site now.

5. Out of the Past - A Classic Film Blog - I've been haunting this blog for a while now. Raquelle has been serving up classic film reviews, book reviews, classic film contests, and covering all topics in the classic film world for a few years. Raquelle writes about classic film in a way that makes having an interest in classic film seem modern and not just nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment