Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dear Old Hollywood Is Quite Stylish


I usually don't participate in these awards or similar blog questionnaires, not that I mean to be a curmudgeon, but I simply don't have the time to keep up. I figured it was about time that I made the time to honor one of these awards and I would like to thank Zoe Walker at The Big Parade blog and Lindsay Blake at I Am Not A Stalker for bestowing to me the "Stylish blogger Award." It is much appreciated. Thanks ladies!

There is more to just receiving this award - there are rules attached - and here they are:
  1. Thank and link back to the blogger that tagged me with the award.
  2. Share seven things about myself.
  3. Award recently discovered great bloggers.
  4. Contact the bloggers and inform them of their award.
Let's begin. Here are seven things you may not know about me:

1. Like some of my favorite old Hollywood stars, Spencer Tracy, Orson Welles, Fred MacMurray, Fredric March, Don Ameche, (as well as many others) I was raised in Wisconsin but have been in California long enough now that I consider "the Golden State" home.

2. I'm not a big sports junkie, but being a former "cheesehead," I love football, especially watching the Green Bay Packers. You can imagine I was pretty excited to see them win the last Super Bowl and bring the Lombardi trophy back to Green Bay.

3. As a kid I always wanted to work at a movie studio, to be where the magic happens. I've been fortunate enough to work at three studios and to have the chance to be on all the major studio lots in "Hollywood." Studios really are exciting places for movie lovers and I still enjoy wandering around the backlots. I don't think it will ever get old.

4. If I didn't work in the film industry I probably would have pursued music. Several years ago I played drums in a rock band but a music career wasn't in the cards. I still enjoy going to concerts, not so much big festivals, but smaller local music venues. Most of the music I listen to is old jazz, 50s & 60s rock'n'roll, and music from the great American songbook. As for new music I'm listening to, I really enjoy Ferraby Lionheart, Pale Young Gentlemen, and Dr. Dog.

5. When I'm not watching movies, I like watching 4-D productions - the theatre. It doesn't have to be a big Broadway production either. I often frequent the smaller LA area theatres. My favorite is the Glendale Centre Theatre, which is a theatre in the round. The audience sits around the stage and the actors come in and out from all directions. This wonderful family run theatre has been going for 63 years now. They are currently showing the musical "Big River" and the show is filled with fun songs, sung by a great cast. Visit http://www.glendalecentretheatre.com/.

6. I like to walk and try to walk places when I can. I am NOT the guy who drives around and around until he finds the closest parking spot to the entrance to a store. I'm also the wrong guy to ask if something is in walking distance, because what I consider walking distance is probably a lot different than for most people.

7. I love dressing well. I think it is an extension from my interest in classic film and seeing how stylish and dapper men used to dress. I collect ties, pocket squares, hats and other accessories. Original vintage finds are the best. And I know I drive my wife crazy because of the amount of closet space I take up to hold all of my suits and sport coats - but she is equally competitive with closet space - so I think we both met our match.

Here are some bloggers I would like to nominate and pass the award to:
  1. Daveland - This blog is a nostalgic trip through Disneyland and a fun site for any Disney fan. Dave posts vintage images of Disneyland and writes about past Disney attractions.
  2. The Kitty Packard Pictorial - Beautiful Hollywood images and engaging writing on various classic Hollywood topics is what you will find here. The Kitty Packard Pictorial recently hosted the Jean Harlow blogathon.
  3. Classicflix.com  Blog - Classicflix rents and sells many hard to find classic films. This is a great site to keep posted on all the upcoming releases of the classics.
  4. The Daily Undertaker - Pat McNally writes about the variety of rituals involved with funerals - the unique, the fun (yes, I said fun), artisitc, creative, emotional, etc. This is a very different and unique blog and an interesting read.
  5. Laura's Miscelaneous Musings - Laura writes about a variety of subjects but I especially enjoy her classic movie reviews and reading her "around the blogosphere" posts where she links up to a lot of interesting stories around the internet I might not otherwise get to.
Thanks again to Lindsay at I Am Not A Stalker and Zoe at The Big Parade :)

No comments:

Post a Comment